By the time you notice wood rot, the damage has already been done
Most people don’t see or notice wood rot until it’s too late. Maybe you’re getting ready to paint a window sill, do some trim work, or decking and then notice wood rot damage. Or, perhaps you are having your roof repaired or getting work done in your crawlspace, and the contractor comes and tells you there’s a problem. Depending on where the wood rot is located, will determine the type of damage that can occur if left untreated. But wherever the damage may be, there’s one thing you can be sure of…wood rot is going to allow excess moisture in, and that moisture brings with it serious problems.
What causes wood rot?
There are several different factors that can cause wood rot in your roof, which is why it’s important to understand what problems can make your roof at risk.
- Clogged or misaligned gutters
- Roof ventilation
- Damaged roofing materials
How does roof venting help with minimizing wood rot?
- Your roof is more than a barrier from the moisture, it also allows the house to ‘breathe’ and RELEASE moisture (much in the way a bathroom or attic fan does).
- A properly vented roof expels much of the water vapor that builds up in the home and plays an important role in keeping the moisture content in building materials to safe levels.
Is wood rot localized or can it spread?
If your home has wood rot in one area, there’s a chance it may be in other areas as well. Before starting on repairs, American Dream Home Improvement will conduct a thorough assessment of your home in order to determine if wood rot exists anywhere else, and how it is best addressed and resolved.
What does an American Dream Home Improvement Wood Rot Inspection Include?
- Facial boards and corner boards
- Siding (Particularly if it is wood siding)
- Exposed framing in crawlspaces and basements
- Window sills and door thresholds and casings throughout the home
- Roof decking (specifically the underside or that adjacent to areas of high moisture such as garden beds or in heavily shaded areas)
- Roof framing
Since 1999, American Dream Home Improvement has been helping Homeowners solve moisture and wood rot issues.
Explore Our Roofing Repair and Replacement Projects
Take a look at some of the roofing projects we’ve completed for other customers, and imagine how good your new or repaired roof will look after we’re done.
What Our Customers Are Saying
“We thought we needed a new roof, but your guys did an inspection, and suggested repairs that saved us thousands of dollars. Thank you for being honest and trustworthy, it makes a difference.”
“Our roof sustained heavy damage in a storm, and we wanted a reliable company to do the replacement. The moment we met with the inspector from American Dream Home Improvement, we felt like we were in great hands. Our new roof is fantastic. Thank you.”
Colorado Springs, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Crystal Lake, IL
Downers Grove, IL
Vernon Hills, IL
Crown Point, IN
Farmington Hills, MI
St. Peters, MO
West Chester, OH